It has been brought up time and time again, “Should I give my employee a phone for company use?” We are talking specifically employees right now because if it were an independent contractor, you would not be giving them any equipment to use.
The con’s to giving a company phone to an employee:
- The extra monthly cost.
- The cost of the phones.
- Repair of the phone if it breaks.
- Possibility of personal usage.
- Another “thing” to track, manage, and train on.
- Possibly loosing the device.
- Initial cost for the phone(s).
- Staff might still get calls for pet sitting after they leave you.
The pro’s to giving a company phone to an employee:
- An always track them by the phone’s GPS
- Always have contact with them via email, text, or phone.
- You can use the cost as a business expense.
- You can ensure that everyone has the apps you need for your business.
- The employee doesn’t incure any costs.
- Don’t have to worry about them going over in minutes or text messages.
- When they leave the company, you have the phone back in your possession and can forward calls.
Every business is different. Some have extra cash flow that they want to have write offs for. Some can’t afford anything extra. It is really a balancing act when deciding if you should get your staff phones.
Personally, I think a business should reimburse for gas before they go getting phones for everyone. There is also google voice where you can assign google numbers to each of your staff so when you part ways you can disconnect the google number from their cell phone.
Clearly, there are a lot of options out there and it is up to you, as the business owner, to decide what is best for your pet sitting company.